Biography of David Ness
B.1963 - D.

This is just a quick synopsis of my life that I've thrown together. Eventually, I'll expand this into a complete biography, but hopefully this'll do for now...

Although born elsewhere (I won't say where due to concerns of identity theft), I grew up in a small town in upstate New York called Bath. Bath was the county seat of Stueben county, and my father was the manager of the largest store in town, the local W.T. Grant store. We lived in a very nice house along West Washington Boulevard. It was a great childhood in a nice little town, where the big events each year (at least for me), were the county fair, and the Dairy Festival Parade, which passed by right in front of our house.

I was the 2nd child of 4, and the eldest boy. I have a brother Steven, and two sisters, Cathy, and Lisa Renee. I went to school in Bath up until the 4th or 5th grade, and then the moving started. Lots of moving.

Hold on, we're going on a ride...

W.T. Grants was the 2nd largest department store chain in the world in the early 1970's, only second to Sears Roebuck & Company. My father, who had been with the company for many years (and many moves before I came along), got yet another promotion, and he was to manage the largest W.T. Grant store ever built, in Duquesne, Pennsylvania. So our family packed up and moved to McKeesport, Pennsylvania. This lasted only a couple of years, before disaster struck; W.T. Grants went under during the recession of the early 1970's, and my father had to switch professions.

We moved again, this time to Palatine, Illinois, outside of Chicago, where my father had lived earlier in his W.T. Grant days. This lasted only a short while, until a retailer, Cloth World, started hiring a lot of the old Grants managers. This resulted in a series of moves while Cloth World shuffled their management around the country. In rather quick order, I was moved from Palatine, to Indianapolis, Indiana, Youngstown, Ohio, Reading, Pennsylvania, and then Fort Smith, Arkansas, where I finally got to stay for a few years, until I graduated from Southside High School. And I met a gal; Shonnie Brown.

Shonnie & I moved to Chicago for a brief while, but that ended up not working out, and we parted ways, and eventually we came back to Fort Smith.

Back in Fort Smith with my Dad, I picked up a few years of additional education at Westark College, just as the microcomputer revolution was getting off the ground. I actually got hooked on computers while in Chicago, when I bought a Timex Sinclair, which allowed one to enter simple programs in BASIC. Wow, was that cool. So I was hooked, and I upgraded to a Commodore VIC20. I then entered Westark Collage to learn more about the emerging field of computers.

I remember when I went to enroll, I told the enrollment official that I wanted to learn about computers, and they signed me up for a variety of electronics courses, including both analog, and amazingly for that time, real courses in digital electronic design, and machine language programming. A great foundation for a lifelong career in computers.

The school also had one of the first computer labs, stocked with, at first, Apple II+ computers. I was witness to the never ending procession of upgraded machines, including the first IBM PC's, PC XT's, and Apple IIe's. I spent all my spare time writing software, both for the Apple IIe's, and then the PC-DOS computers (I was a great Turbo Pascal programmer). As I got out of college, I went to work for a couple of local computer dealers, but as Fort Smith was a fairly small market, I set my sights on moving to Dallas. I stayed in Dallas longer than I've stayed anywhere in my life, although I did move about from place to place within the Dallas area, including Richardson, The Colony, North Dallas, McKinney, and then finally in the Turtle Creek area of downtown Dallas.

Although life in Dallas was good, my wandering imprinting was too strong a force, and I had to move on, so I moved to North Port, Florida for a short while to be near my mother & father. It was at this time that the internet revolution exploded on the scene, and I felt the pressure to jump back into the fray. Florida was not the center of the internet revolution, so I packed up and moved to ground zero, San Francisco... just in time to get settled in for the internet revolution's crash. I stayed in San Francisco for almost five years, but when my father developed health problems, and I moved back to North Port, Florida to offer assistance.

My father has since passed away, and I'm currently still in Florida planning my next move.